This post is also available in: German
My best recipes are usually spontaneous creations. Today I faced the question: What can you do with rhubarb if you want to bake something sweet but not a whole cake? The answer is a galette!
This recipe combines strawberries with rhubarb and a crispy-light dough works well without oil. It is super easy and quick to make! It consists of a buckwheat-oat base and a quick filling of fresh rhubarb and strawberries. Instead of oil or margarine, I use almond butter and instead of sugar, this recipe uses erythritol and coconut sugar. Still, this galette tastes so good, you won’t even notice how healthy it is! 🙂
Recently I shared a recipe for buckwheat cream. Buckwheat is a pseudo-grain that can be ground into a flour and used like spelt or wheat flour. It’s naturally gluten-free and works very well in cakes. Although I can digest gluten quite well, I prefer using buckwheat flour due to its high nutritional content.
The second flour I used for this recipe is oat flour. You can make your own oat flour by blending oats into a fine flour in your high-speed blender. Or you could buy “instant oats”, which are basically the same thing. Instead of oat flour, you could use any flour of your choice since this recipe technically works well with any kind of flour. If you try it out, let me know!
Share The Love
If you try this recipe, feel free to tag me on Instagram. I love when you send me pictures or link me in your stories! ♥ ️
Strawberry Rhubarb Galette - Vegan, Gluten-Free & Oil-Free
- 100 g oat flour
- 100 g buckwheat flour (alternative: spelt flour)
- 2 tbsp white almond butter (1 tbsp = 25g)
- 50 g oat milk
- 50 g erythritol (sugar alternative)
- a splash of water, if needed
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 300 g rhubarb
- 1 handful of fresh strawberries
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp carob gum
- Mix all ingredients for the dough with your hands and knead it until you get a homogeneous dough.
- Put the dough in the fridge while preparing the filling
- Cut the rhubarb into bite-sized pieces and the strawberries in about 3-4 slices per berry.
- Mix rhubarb and strawberries with lemon juice, coconut sugar and carob gum.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 356 F (convection).
- Roll out the dough on a baking tray with baking paper as flat as possible.
- Spread the filling on the dough leaving 2-3cm of space on the edge. Flip up the edges on all sides. If the dough breaks, just put it into place with your fingers.
- Spread some lemon juice on the dough edge and sprinkle some sugar over the galette.
- Bake the galette for 30-35 minutes.