Sounds odd but tastes SO GOOD. Clearly one of my new favourites.
I was inspired at a yoga fair in Stuttgart where they sold pumpkin seed ice cream sweetened with dates. The two girls selling this vegan ice cream were so kind to let me try all sorts and pumpkin seed was the one that kept stuck in my head for days after I left the fair. A new idea was born: PUMPKIN SEED NICECREAM!
The difference between nicecream and regular ice cream is that nicecream uses frozen bananas as a base. As you guys know, fruit is healthy, fruit is good. Fruit is the food humans feel most attracted to in nature. And it basically digests without any efforts thanks to the naturally occurring enzymes in its raw state. It’s our perfect food. That’s why I love nicecream! Feels like eating ice cream (everybody loves ice cream) but you’re actually eating frozen fruit. It’s the ultimate health cheat!
Pumpkin seed butter
Never heard of it? I’ve been there too. When I first tried it, I wasn’t that intrigued. It’s rather salty compared to other nut and seed butters. That means combining it with something sweet (like bananas) yields the ultimate flavour explosion. My favourite way to eat it is in form of pumpkin seed nicecream. It also makes a lovely oatmeal topping, but pumpkinn seed nicecream is the shit!
If you can’t find it in a store – you can make it yourself in a good food processor. Just make sure to use high quality organic pumpkin seeds. Believe me, it will change your life. And it’s always fun to discover new ingredients, isn’t it? 🙂
I got my pumpkin seed butter (Kürbiskernmus) from Greenist. You can get 15% off your whole order at Greenist if you use the code ‘laurafruitfairy’ at the checkout. For other product recommendations and discount codes check out this post.
Now let’s make nicecream!
Pumpkin Seed Nicecream
- 500 g frozen banana(s)
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seed butter
- Peel ripe, spotty bananas, break them into pieces and freeze in an air-tight container overnight. (I recommend at least 8 hours.)
- Add 500g frozen bananas to a blender and defrost for about 10 minutes. If you have a strong blender of food processor you can skip the defrosting time.
- Add 1 Tbs pumpkin seed butter to the blender and pulse until homogenous. Work with a tamper and different speed levels to turn your frozen bananas into beautifully smooth ice cream. If your blender isn't strong enough, add a little water or plant milk to facilitate blending.
- Serve in a bowl and swirl in the other 1 Tbs pumpkin seed butter. Add other toppings of your choice.