If you’ve been following me on Instagram, you might have seen me search desperately for pumpkin cake / muffin recipes that actually TASTE like pumpkin. While I haven’t been successful with my search, a different idea struck me like lightning: A pumpkin cream dessert! That will surely taste like pumpkin. (You have to know, I crazily fell in love with pumpkins this autumn so I adore the taste of it.)
Tadaa! Gingerbread Pumpkin cream was born.
But be warned!! This pumpkin REALLY tastes like pumpkin a lot. If you don’t like the taste of pumpkins… well, what are you doing here?? If you do love it as much as I do… Welcome, friend! This recipe will change your life! <3
When I looked up “pumpkin cream” online I found what I usually always find: Lots of high-fat non-vegan recipes. Pff! If people knew that vegan, high carb versions of their favourite foods taste JUST as good as the original recipes, they would finally stop using so much fat and so excessively many animal products!!
So I did what I usually do: I collected ideas and inspiration and experimented myself. I remade this recipe three times to test it properly before I share it with you guys. It’s perfect now! I’m so happy.
I decided to make it a parfait because it brings the pumpkin cream’s deliciousness to its absolute top!! If you need exact instructions for the chocolate caramel, you can also check out this blogpost.
To find out the macronutrient ratio, I threw all ingredients into MyFitnessPal. I’m quite happy about it! Without coconut milk it’s 74:13:13 Carbs Protein Fat, with 2 Tbs coconut milk this ratio turns into 69:12:19. Not too bad either! HCLF foodie approved ✓ ?
If you’re wondering what to do with the leftover chocolate caramel… Be creative! I promise you won’t regret having some spare! Try it on pancakes. Or smoothies. Or dip fruit into it. Eat it with yogurt. It it pure. Or: (EPICNESS WARNING) Eat it together with 1/2 avocado. I always have a box of chocolate caramel in my fridge. You can keep it there for weeks! In case it ever lasts that long…
Now, time to indulge….
Winterly Pumpkin Cream Parfait
- 600 g baked pumpkin (Hokkaido)
- 250 g sugar-free plain soy yogurt
- Optional: 2 Tbs coconut milk
- 1 tbsp gingerbread spice
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
Chocolate caramel layer
- 300 g pitted dates
- 320 ml water
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1.5 tbsp carob powder
- a pinch of vanilla
- I recommend using leftover pumpkin that has already cooled off. But if you don't have baked pumpkin ready, start like this: Cut pumpkin into cubes or slices and bake until soft (20 minutes at 170 C should be enough). Let it cool off.
- To make the parfait, start with the chocolate caramel. Blend dates, water, cacao powder, carob powder and vanilla in a high speed blender until smooth.
- Pour it out but don't scoop it out; don't rinse the container of your blender. Leave some of the good sweet stuff in there!
- Add baked pumpkin, soy yogurt, coconut sugar, coconut milk and spice to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Layer in a glass - make it about 1/3 chocolate caramel and 2/3 pumpkin cream.
- Serve with a drop of coconut milk and sprinkled gingerbread spice on top.