This combination is soooo good, seriously.
I’ve been going totally crazy about porridge lately. Every few days I discover a new flavour combination that is even BETTER than everything I have tried before. Carob & cinnamon is one of these magical combinations. If you haven’t tried this, you’re missing out! Just like I was, more than 22 years until now…
This porridge is made with spelt semolina, which you can easily replace with regular oats or other flaked grains. Nevertheless, I do encourage you to give semolina a try. Especially since its cooking time is much shorter than oatmeal or other grains because the grain (spelt or wheat) is basically ground up very finely already.
If you have never tried carob but you are wondering what it tastes like or whether you should buy it or not: Buy it. It tastes very similar to cacao powder with an additional hint of caramel. It is naturally sweet and much lower in fat than cacao. Furthermore, it is an absolute superfood containing a large variety of essential nutrients and vitamins.
Now let’s get cooking! Here’s the recipe:
Carob Cinnamon Semolina Porridge
- 100 g semolina
- 300 g water
- 250 g almond milk
- 1 tsp psyllium husks
- 1 banana(s)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp carob
- Mash the banana with a fork.
- Add water and almond milk to a pot and bring to boil.
- When bubbling, add semolina and stir with a whisk immediately to avoid clumping. Turn off the heat and keep stirring until the porridge has thickened up. Add more liquid if necessary.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir thoroughly and fill into a bowl to serve. The porridge will thicken more as it cools down.
- Add toppings of your choice. I recommend frozen cherries, a melting dark chocolate piece (I use chocolate sweetened with coconut sugar), hazelnut butter, cacao nibs, banana coins and kiwifruit.